How Integrated Louvers Enhance Privacy and Security in Educational Facilities
All children should grow up free from fear and violence. And fortunately, most of our children do.
However, statistics from the US National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) report, “Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2015”, show that during the 2013–14 school year a total of 1,501 firearm possession incidents were reported. In Canada, Statistics Canada data indicates that one in five violent crimes (19 percent) involving an accused youth occurred at school during school hours or during a supervised activity.
Designing for Safer Schools
Design matters in schools where the safety and security of our children are becoming a growing concern. Doors and windows, both in interior and exterior applications, are a major consideration toward protective design and need to ensure high levels of safety while providing adjustable visibility for monitoring.
Interior windows and doors are needed to monitor activities into student areas, gathering spaces, administrative offices and more. Visibility is important, but these windowed portals must have shatter-resistant and bullet-resistant glass. Additionally, any privacy solutions must be adjustable – permitting both open views and fully blocked visibility – and strong enough to withstand violent impacts.
Integrated louvers – are hermetically sealed glass unit combining louvers within glass – competently address all these design requirements. They can be customized to virtually any shape for interior and exterior glazing applications and provide the ideal safety and privacy solution for educational environments.
- Louvers can be angled to provide adjustable monitoring by school staff. Viewing can be permitted from one area to the other, but not in the opposite direction, depending on the louver angle positioning.
- High impact glazing protects against bullets, shattering, fire and violent force.
- Louvers are made with hollow-chambered aluminum to provide maximum strength and maintain the strictly parallel alignment of the blades.
- During emergency situations, the interlocking profile of the louvers offer complete privacy when in closed position. Furthermore, they ensure an additional safety barrier against violent impacts.
- Vision Control® units feature double glazing with a 2” airspace that has a Sound Transmission Class (STC) rating on par with drywall and concrete block walls.